2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Help understanding what is wrong when using the colorize tool

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Help understanding what is wrong when using the colorize tool

Post#1 by Mapsking » 24 Sep 2021, 05:39

I feel like I am doing something wrong, or not understanding something, perhaps something simple. Maybe one of you can help me figure it out?

Goal: Colorize something using one of my FG/BG colors.
Problem: Colors don't match.

In a nutshell, I want to colorize things, but as stated, the colors don't match. I know you can use the Colorize option on a layer/selection, and then drag a color in from the FG/BG color selector. I know it still gives you the ability to tweak hue, saturation, lightness, etc. I know that I can do this once, and then hit CTRL-F to repeat it the next time. I will be doing this a ton, so I want the colors to be consistent, and the easiest way to do that, that I know of, is to drag the colors directly onto the colorize tool from the FG/BG color selector.

You can see the two FG and BG colors are different, and in this image below, both of the purple items on this texture on the right were colored using either the FG (left one), and the BG for the one on the right. As you can see, they are both practically the same, and neither one is the color of the FG or BG.

Then, I added two separate layers of a square each, and filled them both with white for consistency. Then, I colorized the top one using this FG (you can see the values from the FG/BG colors, I did not change them), with this result:

Next, the bottom square and values here:

I imagine and expect that they would look just like the FG/BG colors, since these are on a plain white square. I compared colors with a color picker. Here is the top, with values:

And the bottom:

They are very similar, yet different. However, without a color picker, I thought they were exactly the same. Why are the colors so similar to each other, and why is it not colorizing the squares to be the same color as in the FG/BG colors?

Am I doing something wrong? Misunderstanding something? Some setting that needs to be changed? This is driving me nuts, when I want a nice dark, deep purple, and I get whatever this is!

Thanks for any help, advice, explanations, suggestions, or anything in advance!

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
915 Post(s)

Post#2 by Krikor » 24 Sep 2021, 13:11

Is the image in RGB mode or Indexed mode?
Is layer mode in normal?
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#3 by Mapsking » 24 Sep 2021, 17:23

Yes, it is in RGB mode, and also the layer mode is normal.

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#4 by Mapsking » 24 Sep 2021, 17:27

I just thought of something, this texture has an alpha channel. Is that possibly conflicting with it? I get confused working with them sometimes. Is there an easy process with which to copy the part I want to color, colorize it without the alpha channel, and then put that part back over the image, without losing transparency on other parts of the image, or without distorting the part I want to change?

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#5 by Mapsking » 25 Sep 2021, 05:27

I actually discovered the Colorify tool is still in GIMP, and it seems to work better for what I need, but if the starting color is different, the end result will be different, meaning it does not color everything TO that color, which is what I think the Colorize tool does. Is there a way to start the Colorify tool from a consistent source color, so the colors stay true to the FG/BG select colors? Desaturating it seems to make it super dark when Colorify is applied.

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
915 Post(s)

Post#6 by Krikor » 25 Sep 2021, 16:00

Sorry, but I can't reproduce this situation here.

When selecting foreground or background colors they are always passed on as desired for the image.

I can reproduce something similar to what you reported, but only if the image is in indexed mode with a few colors.

I can only think of something related to layer modes (Normal), layer opacity (check if they are at 100%), Indexed color mode for the image.

Maybe an option is - Edit - Preferences - Tool Options - Reset Tool Options to Default values, but that's just a guess.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#7 by Mapsking » 26 Sep 2021, 05:28

All of those options are set as expected, but good idea, I will try resetting them, and see if it fixes it. Also, if you want, I can send you the exact image I am working on, maybe that will allow you to reproduce it @Krikor.

Krikor
Forum Member
12th Place
915 Post(s)

Post#8 by Krikor » 28 Sep 2021, 03:34

Mapsking wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 05:28
All of those options are set as expected, but good idea, I will try resetting them, and see if it fixes it. Also, if you want, I can send you the exact image I am working on, maybe that will allow you to reproduce it @Krikor.
Mapsking,

I believe it would be best to make the image or .XCF available so that other users can access and try to resolve this issue.

A suggestion; considering the time you posted your problem and the number of possible suggested solutions that have emerged so far (5 days), you should try for help on Gimp-Forum.Net - http://gimp-forum.net/ , it always is good to have more help options when needed.

Good luck!

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic