skinnyhouse
tim
gnerd
animicule

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

How to make money with GIMP?

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
tim
GL Blogger
1st Place
5646 Post(s)

How to make money with GIMP?

Post#1 by tim » 11 Nov 2021, 12:26

Someone discord chat asked this question, and since it's a good question:
I thought I'd share my experiences with you guys, and you're free to share your ideas/answers too since I think it would add great content that netizens are dying to know.

This list is in no particular order.

1. Create a GIMP related forum/blog and show Google Adsense. This method takes years to build up. This forum has been around for 5 years, and I make about $200 CAD/year in adsense. This revenue would depend on content related to GIMP. I am guessing the more content you have the more you'll make since netizens are more likely to find piece of your content if there's more of it.

2. Design using GIMP. Create designs/art using GIMP to sell on redbubble.com, fineartamerica.com (or other sites that I do not know about). I have some experience in this (absolutely not enough though). Fineartamerica is more artsy at least from my selling experience, I have sold an art piece on Fineartamerica for over $200 USD (only happened one time though). On redbubble.com I have sold many stickers that were political related, but repeated sales, but at a much lower price compared to the FineartAmerica piece. I would imagine the success of this method depends on how many art works/designs you have and the quality of them. GIMP doesn't stop me from being successful using this method but it's my own creativity that seems to be the limitation.

3. Create Cross-stitch Patterns (by using the Cross-Stitch Plug-ins, you can search for them on this forum) to sell as digital goods on sites like etsy.com. I have tried this method but so far has sold none I think it's because my portfolio only has 3 items and they're all conversion from public domain images. Others who do their own pixel arts or custom designs that are well-liked in the cross-stitching world would have much more success. The plug-ins themselves have received positive comments and one person on cs-pattern.com uses it for all her custom designs so the plug-ins are not the limiting factor, it's the actual designs that you use to create the patterns that are the selling point. If you're interested in this method you can view this detailed Guide to generating cross-stitch pattern for Free.

Those are methods that I have tried.
What are some that you've tried? feel free share!
Hopefully, we can build on this content as a resource for people who are interested in making money in GIMP.

For method 1 and 2 above, I guess a Photoshop person could do similar and make money from them. However method 3 is only available in GIMP (since I haven't seen anything related to cross-stitching pattern design using Photoshop ...yet).

In summary, GIMP is a tool that is powerful that gives your the power to execute your imagination, how you make money using GIMP is only limited by your creative power, not the tool itself).

Shared on Twitter
Pinned on Pinterest
how-to-make-money-using-gimp-small.jpg
how-to-make-money-using-gimp-small.jpg # (11.51 KiB) Viewed 149 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
aka Tin
World Food Program | Good Deeds Forum

tim
GL Blogger
1st Place
5646 Post(s)

Post#2 by tim » 11 Nov 2021, 13:27

This is like our own guide/book with a simple cover image in the above posts.
Hopefully many could benefit from.
aka Tin
World Food Program | Good Deeds Forum

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic