It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 19:34

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

The Gimp 2.10.12 Help System Crashes

GIMP or GIMP LEARN forum related Questions
gibletsWithShaman
Forum Member

The Gimp 2.10.12 Help System Crashes

Post#1 by gibletsWithShaman » 02 Jul 2019, 07:36

Hi,
I'm a new GIMP 2.10.12 user with only a few days of experience using GIMP. I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit.

Is the GIMP 2.10.12 help system working?

When I press F1, I get several error messages.

A dialog pops up:
"GNU Image Manipulation Program Plug-in has stopped working"

In the Error Console, I get two errors:
"GIMP Error
Plug-in crashed: "help-browser.exe"
(C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\help-browser\help-browser.exe)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

GIMP Error
Procedure 'extension-gimp-help-browser-temp' returned no return values"

After I got these errors, I downloaded and installed the user-maual from gimp org. This didn't help.

Is there a fix?
Thanks for any help,
Charles
GIMP is great! No, really.

tim
GL Blogger

Post#2 by tim » 02 Jul 2019, 12:35

Not working for me either when i tried to run it on Windows 2008 server.
There's a bug logged about it here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/3226
While it's not fixed you could always refer to the online GIMP manual: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/
It's a pain having to look through the manual, if F1 worked it would have brought you directly to the section of the manual that was related to what your focus is on.
aka Tin
:tree_02:
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Lottery numbers from image | Interested Members in TLF
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

tim
GL Blogger

Post#3 by tim » 02 Jul 2019, 12:58

I think I found a work around.

GIMP 2.10 must be missing something I am not sure what. but GIMP 2.8.22 has no problem loading the help so the below is what I did and it seemed to have fixed the HELP problem.
  1. rename C:/Program Files/GIMP 2/ as something else (ie. C:/Program Files/GIMP 2.10) (We just temporarily do this to install GIMP 2.8) we'll rename it back later.
  2. Install GIMP 2.8.22 from https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gi ... -setup.exe
  3. Now, we have GIMP 2.8 installed under C:/Program Files/GIMP 2
  4. rename C:/Program Files/GIMP 2/ as something like C:/Program Files/GIMP 2.8
  5. now rename our C:/Program Files/GIMP 2.10 back to C:/Program Files/GIMP 2
  6. Start GIMP and help should be working now.
  7. This was tested on Windows 2008 server to work around the GIMP help problem(s).
This whole process is simply to get our machine to work like 2.8 by installing it then bring 2.10 files back after the 2.8 install.

This HELP error issue(s) happened on GIMP 2.10.12 on Windows (Could not reproduce on Linux/Ubuntu).
aka Tin
Tin's: Favorite Index | Simple Art === fb4yt video search | fb4yt recent video views report
Paying for hosting is to support my hobby, and donating money made from ads to The Red Cross.

tim
GL Blogger

Post#4 by tim » 02 Jul 2019, 13:26

I have added a comment on the bug's report page (gitlab) as well to help others see this workaround solution.

My guess is that people who previously had 2.8 installed then upgraded to 2.10 would not see this error.
Since on my Windows 2008 I uninstalled GIMP completely, and freshly installed 2.10.12, I was able to see this error.
aka Tin

No avatar
rich2005
GIMP Guru

Post#5 by rich2005 » 02 Jul 2019, 14:15

An alternative:

For English (or Italian) users there is an up-to-date (25 June '19) Gimp 2.10 help in PDF format. 1000 pages, indexed, searchable. 42 MB

http://gimp.linux.it/www/meta/

gibletsWithShaman
Forum Member

Post#6 by gibletsWithShaman » 03 Jul 2019, 18:41

Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it very much. I think I'll go with the pdf file. That solution will continue to work once I get around to installing Linux.
- Charles
GIMP is great! No, really.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | 🡆 Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP